A classic Hungarian recipe from “God Mat Fra Hele Verden”
(Delicious Food From All The World) published by Schibsted in 1971
The House of Eszterhàzy goes back to 1687 and right up to 1945, the family owned 21 castles, 60 market towns and 414 villages; The first of the family’s two famous men were Nikolaus Joseph (1714-1790), who built the castle Eszterhàzy where Haydn worked as musical director for 30 years. The other was Prince Nikolaus (1765-1833), Austrian / Hungarian field marshal, who refused Napoleon’s offer to become king of Hungary in 1809. The credit for this dish is attributed to him.