Cooking oil for deep frying
10 oz. beef (shredded)
2 potatoes (shredded)
1 big onion (chopped)
% coconut (grated)
2 cups water
Salt to taste
4 tablespoons oil
Mix Into a paste
1 packed beef curry powder
1 tablespoon water
Pastry Ingredients (1)
10 oz. plain flour
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup water
Pastry Ingredients (2)
6 oz. plain flour
4 oz. margarine or lard
2 tablespoons water
pinch of salt
1. Add 1/2 cup water to grated coconut. Squeeze for first santan. Add the remaining water and squeeze for second santan.
2. Heat oil and fry onions till slightly brown. Add curry powder paste. Fry till fragrant.
3. Add meat and salt and fry for 4 – 5 min. Add second santan and continue to cook. Stir constantly for another 5 min. Add potatoes and cook until melt and potatoes are tender.
4. lower heat and add first santan. Simmer until quite dry. Remove and allow to cool.
5. Prepare pastry (1)
Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a hole in the centre and add in water slowly. Knead well to a smooth and pliable dough.
6. Prepare pastry (2)
Sieve flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in fat until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and mix to a smooth dough. Do not knead too much.
7. Roll out pastry (1) and wrap pastry (2) in it. Roll this out into a thin oblong strip. Roll up the strip as for Swiss roll.
8. Roll out pastry into a thin oblong strip for second time. Roll again as for Swiss roll. But this time, cut the roll along the length into thin slices of 1/8inch thick. Roll out each slice thinly. Cut into rounds with a pastry cutter.
9. Put filling in the centre of the pastry. Fold pastry into half to enclose filling. Seal by pinching and fluting the edge.
10. Heat oil for deep frying. When oil is very hot fry curry puffs 3 – 4 at a time until golden brown. Remove, and drain on grease-absorbent paper.
11. Serve hot or cold as a tea-time snack.