Shortcake is a sweet cake or biscuit (in the American sense: that is, a crumbly bread that has been leavened with baking powder or baking soda).
Shortcake is typically made with flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, salt, butter, milk or cream, and sometimes eggs. The dry ingredients are blended, and then the butter is cut in until the mixture resembles cornmeal. The liquid ingredients are then mixed in just until moistened, resulting in a shortened dough. The dough is then dropped in spoonfuls onto a baking sheet, rolled and cut like baking powder biscuits, or poured into a cake pan, depending on how wet the dough is and the baker’s preferences. Then it is baked at a relatively high temperature until set.
Though today’s shortcakes are usually of the biscuit or sponge-cake variety, earlier American recipes called for pie crust in rounds or broken-up pieces,which was a variety still being enjoyed in the 20th century, particularly in the South.
Text from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Quick and Easy Strawberry Shortcake (southernfood.answers.com)
- Decadent Strawberry Shortcake (dairyfree.answers.com)
- Strawberry shortcake is here YUM (athenagraalgfx.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (food.com)
- Simple and Delicious Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (baking.answers.com)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)